1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you had a PIAF Forum account in the vBulletin days, log in with your old credentials. Otherwise, sign up again and we'll get you back in business as soon as we can.
  3. A serious FreePBX vulnerability has been reported. Update your Framework Module immediately. Click here for details.

same extension on multiple phones

Discussion in 'Endpoints' started by gizmosrcool, Jun 16, 2008.

1. I would like to have the same extension on multiple phones. Seemed easy enough, however.

Phone 1 = Cisco 7960 has x200 and x201 on it. It registers as a SIP peer when it boots. works fine.

Phone 2 = Aastra57iCT. same extensions. When it registers, all of a sudden the SIP registrations from phone 1 disappear.

Phone 1 can still dial and talk to PIAF box. But not receive calls since its not registered as a peer. Seems like whoever boots last registers as a peer.

I had tried this with a Cisco phone and polycom and I thought it worked. Anyone have any ideas? Can you have the same extension on different phones. Each phone uses the same name/username/password to login. Or am I totally missing something here?

Thx, T.
  2. kenn10 Guru

Bridged Line, Extension or Call Appearance

What you are wanting to do is the most basic feature of the majority of telephone systems out there. However, Asterisk does not support bridged line or bridged call appearances.

There has been many a heated discussion over why this feature is needed. Customers and users still want it but the programmers don't want to build it into the product.

The new FreeSwitch PBX looks as though it has this ability although I have not had time to play with it yet and FreeSwitch is pretty much in its infancy.

Bottom line is that Asterisk doesn't do it right now and Digium does not appear to have plans to put it into the product. When you set up two phones as you have above, the last one to register will be the one which gets control.
  3. jmullinix Guru

Why to you need it? Put distinct extension numbers on each phone, then put both phones in a ring group and have your folks dial the ring group.
  4. wardmundy Nerd Uno

The new Snom M3 lets you do it with their cordless phones through their access point.
  5. Bummer. Having a shared line is very useful. I am from Cisco world and you can see when someone is on the line and its also handy for assistants to pickup calls for their supervisor.

This one will be in my home and I want two extensions, for myself and my wife, but not tied to a physical location. So I can look at any phone and see if I have a vmail message, see an incoming call, etc.

Shared line would an easy way to go. But will do it another way.

Thx, T.
  6. wardmundy Nerd Uno

7. carlosmp New Member

Change FreePBX to device and users mode

Actually, this may help. If you change FreePBX to operate in device and users mode, rather than extensions, you will be able to have multiple devices setup to be the same extension. On the internals, Philippe has said that it actually opeates in device/users mode, but it blends them. In this mode, it creates a ring group of the devices tied to the extension. It requires that each device have a unique ID. The way I do it is if my extension is 231, my devices are 2310, 2311, etc. This lets me have 10 devices per extension if I really needed it.

This is the way I have it setup with 4 different phones, at the office, at home, a wireless in the office, and a softphone on my laptop.

If you setup some BLF keys, you could see what extension is in use. I have my Aastra 55 setup this way at home, so I can see if a few key people are on the phone. It works well.

Hope this helps.